American Red Cross Medical Technician in Columbia, South Carolina
- $5000 Hiring Bonus Available *
Bring your ASCP Clinical Lab Scientist (CLS) or Medical Technologist (MT) license and passion for blood banking to support the life-saving mission of the American Red Cross Blood Services. We are looking for a full timeMedical Technologist to work in ourColumbia, SC reference lab performing specialized testing & blood bank services to serve our local hospital clients. Available schedule is on Second Shift Monday-Friday with regular evening/weekend/holiday on-call rotation.
As a Medical Technologist at the Red Cross you will perform basic and advanced donor and patient tests & interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility.
Primary job responsibilities may include:
• Resolving compatibility problems
• Providing complex reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services
• Performing automated and manual test procedures on blood samples
OtherMedical Technologist duties may include:
• Managing receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples and documenting supply and equipment problems
• Managing reagent inventory (ordering, receiving, inspection and preparation)
• Recognizing/resolving testing irregularities and assisting other Medical Technologists in problem resolution.
• Consulting with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve complex serologic problems and providing special units to transfusion recipients
• Performing maintenance, repair and validation of laboratory equipment and software
• Maintaining accurate records
• Performing manufacturing duties associated with special blood products, if applicable.
• Assuming lead responsibilities such as record review and training; assisting in concern management.
• Performing staff orientation and competency assessments, if applicable. Performing external customer education.
• Technologist I: BS in Medical Technology or MLT with 5 years of lab experience; ASCP or AMT certification required.
• Technologist II: BS in Medical Technology with 4 years of lab experience or MLT with 4 years of blood bank experience; ASCP or AMT certification required, BB/SBB a plus.
• Experience/Skills: Strong skills in organization, communication and attention to detail are required. Three plus years of clinical experience desired but not required. New graduates will be considered.
• Approximately 6 months of training on First Shift. After training, available schedule is Second Shift Monday-Friday with regular evening/weekend on-call rotation.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee's professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment.